Another cold, rainy day here on the farm.
The crazy weather is really starting to affect us, even the animals. The cows don’t seem to mind it too much, probably because they are still shedding their winter coats and the cooler air is more tolerable, but the layers spend their days huddled under the house and the pigs in their huts. We are keeping a close eye on the piglets because they aren’t growing as fast as we’d like and several have been coughing. It’s likely just a cold from the cool, damp air, but we want t stay on top of it. When I first got here back in March, we lost a few piglets to pneumonia and we don’t want that again. It’s frustrating because this should be the perfect time of year for piglets!
Even so, I am thankful for the rain. When you are out moving cows, soaked to the skin and ankle deep in mud, it is easy to forget all the benefits of the rain, but it is a blessing. As a future reminder to myself, here are 10 things I am thankful for when it comes to rain:
- It suppresses pollen
- It cools things down
- It keeps the grass growing
- Setting up fencing is so much easier when the ground is soft after a shower
- The smell after the rain
- The sound of rain against my window as I fall asleep
- Running in the rain keeps me cool and hides how sweaty I am
- Free car wash
- Rainy evenings provide the perfect excuse to curl up with a good book (or Arrested Development…)
- Because no matter how old you are (or what you are), jumping in a puddle can put a smile on anyone’s face