The Farm at 5:00 a.m.

Running and farming don’t mesh well. For many reasons.

I took up running about a year ago when my best friend asked me to run a half marathon with her. I wasn’t crazy about the idea, but she is my best friend and that is what you do for each other. I started training and quickly fell in love with it. Most days I couldn’t wait to get home from work so I could get out and go for a run.

Since moving to the farm, I have struggled to log miles. For a while I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Then it hit me. Farming has destroyed all my motivation.

I ran because my body craved physical activity. I spent 8+ hours a day at a desk staring at a computer screen. I was physically bored and my body wanted to be pushed and challenged. Running was the answer. Here at the farm I am active all day long. In fact, most days I look forward to sitting at the computer and blogging! That is my break. My body doesn’t itch to go for a run like it used to because it is being worked all day long.

Running was also my way of releasing stress. And there is plenty of stress to relieve when you live in NYC! I didn’t run with music. Just me and my thoughts and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement. It was cathartic. Farming is far from easy, but it isn’t stressful. At least not in the same way life in NYC was!

Also, I always ran after work. At the end of the farm day, I am disgusting. Not just sweaty, but dusty and gritty. The only thing I want to do is shower. The thought of having to change into running clothes is very off-putting and the idea of showering so I can go running seems counter-productive.

I found myself stuck in a rut. I wanted to run, but lacked motivation to get out and do it. I needed a race. So aforementioned best friend agreed to run the Hershey half with me in October. Twenty weeks from this coming Sunday. My training began today.

Which brings us to the title of this post. I decided the best option was to run in the morning. It has been so hot lately (85*+) and doesn’t cool down until well after dark. I don’t feel comfortable running these back roads alone at night. The mornings are still mild and the sun is up by 5:15 so that is when I started pounding pavement. It was early, but the scenery made it all worth it.

20130530_0004 20130530_0018

6 thoughts on “The Farm at 5:00 a.m.

  1. I feel your pain! I’m a zookeeper and I have an hour long commute each way. Most days I’m so tired and gross I just want to shower and put my feet up, so I started wearing running clothes to work and making myself run home (7.5 miles) once or twice a week. (; Its sort of a relief to hear about someone else with a physical job talking about the struggle to run, thank you for this post! Beautiful pics and good luck with your race!

    • Running home from work is a great idea! I’d definitely do it if I didn’t live at the farm. I am also relieved to hear I’m not alone in this situation. Totally unrelated – zookeeper=awesome job!

  2. Great photos and interesting observations about how your body graves what it’s missing. On the Farm, it’s blogging and relaxing, in NYC cubicle land, it’s getting physical exercise through running.

  3. Pingback: Running and farming - Wyebrook FarmWyebrook Farm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s